Sunday, July 31, 2011

dentist in china (Originally posted Feb. 21, 2011)

We interrupt these Thailand pictures for a brief post on my visit to the dentist in Nanjing, China.

I've been told that most--if not all--of Chinese dentists get their schooling overseas, typically Canada and the US and, as such, speak a decent amount of English. My dentist spoke English, but only one of his assistants out of his three did. You could tell he was a true dentist with western training because I was given the third degree for hating flossing.

I went in for a regular checkup and cleaning; instead of using an array of metal hand tools, there was a small electric powered drill with water that was used for everything. Then, for the polish, my teeth were lightly 'sand blasted' (not as bad as it sounds; I just can't think of a better word...) with something that tasted and smelled like.... it wasn't mint, let's put it that way.

All in all, it hurt like hell but I sucked it up, my teeth feel great, and it only cost me $30. Dental care isn't always on the Chinese 'To Do' list, so the office was empty and I didn't even have to bother to make an appointment.

Again, this happened in Nanjing, so in other parts of the country your mileage may vary.

No comments:

Post a Comment